Thursday, May 7, 2009

Dandelions


Dandelions. I guess I have a "love-hate" relationship with dandelions. I love the contrast of color that is spread across the lawn during the spring when dandelions are in bloom. However, I hate that when I have had enough enjoyment from them, no matter how many times I mow the lawn, they keep coming back! The amazing color brings a temporary enjoyment, but eventually it becomes a burden that is hard to get rid of. Before I realize it, I have allowed the enjoyment of a few here and there to become a burden of many that pop up all over the place!
Dandelions remind me of sin. More often than not, sin is enjoyable. If it weren't, we wouldn't struggle with it! Like dandelions, the temporary enjoyment of sin becomes a burden that multiplies into overwhelming proportions. Before we realize it, one or two sins become many and begin to shape who we really are and who we desire to be. James 1:15 says that sin, when it is full grown, gives birth to death.
If I work at removing the dandelions everyday, though still hard, it stays a manageable task. God help me to keep short sin accounts with You so that my life stays free from the desire of the temporary enjoyment that eventually becomes an overwhelming burden of sin.







1 comment:

  1. Great analogy! Maybe that's why the President of Cedarville would make a big speech in chapel every year about how we were to pick every dandelion we saw on campus. There was a "no tolerance for dandelions" policy! Makes sense to me now! :)

    Welcome to blogging! Don't be addicted! :)

    ReplyDelete